PG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Introduces students to the profession of social work, and outlines the core knowledge and values required of practising social workers in Australia. The profession is understood within the context of contemporary social welfare arrangements and labour market. The unit seeks to critically examine social work theories and models, as well as different ways of transferring knowledge into practice.
- The social work profession
- The self and social work
- Social work ethics
- The welfare state
- The labour market context
- Disadvantage and inequality
- Social justice, need and empowerment
- Knowledge, reflective practice and evidence-based practice
- Social work practice theories
- Cross-cultural work
- Indigenous issues and cross-cultural work
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||discuss the core knowledge and values of the social work profession|
|2||explain how social workers respond to ethical issues and dilemmas|
|3||critically evaluate different social work theories and models|
|4||explain how evidence-based and reflective practice models can be used to inform social work practice.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
discuss the core knowledge and values of the social work profession
explain how social workers respond to ethical issues and dilemmas
critically evaluate different social work theories and models
explain how evidence-based and reflective practice models can be used to inform social work practice.
- O'Connor, I, Wilson, J, Setterlund, D & Hughes, M, 2008, Social Work and Human Service Practice, 5, Pearson, Frenchs Forest.
- O'Connor, I, Wilson, J, Setterlund, D & Hughes, M, 2008, Social Work and Human Service Practice, 5th edn, Pearson, Frenchs Forest.