Unit of Study SPCH2002 - Neurology for Speech Pathology (2023)
Show me unit information for year
UG Coursework Unit
- Must have completed or be currently enrolled in
- HBIO2008 - Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology of the Head and Neck
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
illustrate the cortical divisions of the central nervous system and areas of the brain linked with dimensions of speech, language and swallowing functions
explain how the cerebellum, brainstem and cranial nerves influence communication and swallowing
describe the neuro-sensory organisation of speech and hearing and the neuro-motor control of speech
provide examples of general speech, language, hearing and swallowing symptoms associated with particular central nervous system lesions and neuropathology
Prescribed learning resources
- Crossman, AR , 2015, Neuroanatomy: an illustrated ColourText, 5th edn, Elsevier. ISBN: 978-0-7020-5405-1.
- Webb, WG, 2017, Neurology for the speech-language pathologist, 6th edn, Elsevier Inc.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
Prescribed Learning Resources may change in future Teaching Periods.