|Online||Session 1, 3||N/A|
UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Provides students with knowledge of pharmacological agents and their current use in the prevention and treatment of disease and with foundational knowledge of the principles of safe medication management.
- Therapeutic drugs in Australia/Principles of safe medication administration
- Information systems, monitoring and recording of medications
- Pharmacology of the autonomic nervous system
- Major drugs affecting the nervous system
- Major classes of drugs affecting the cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, gastrointestinal, endocrine and reproductive systems
- Anaesthetics, analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal drugs
- Psychotherapeutic drugs
- Pharmacology in the elderly and polypharmacy
- Over-the-counter drugs, drug toxicity and adverse drug reactions
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||discuss guidelines for the access and use of medicines within the Australian health care system|
|2||describe the principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics|
|3||describe the mechanisms of action, pharmacological effects, therapeutic uses, contraindications and adverse effects of major classes of drugs and selected specific drugs|
|4||recall the effects of drug toxicity and polypharmacy on the human body.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
discuss guidelines for the access and use of medicines within the Australian health care system
describe the principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
describe the mechanisms of action, pharmacological effects, therapeutic uses, contraindications and adverse effects of major classes of drugs and selected specific drugs
recall the effects of drug toxicity and polypharmacy on the human body.
- Bullock, S, 2014, Fundamentals of Pharmacology, Pearson. ISBN: 101442563109.
- Shane Bullock, 2014, Fundamentals of Pharmacology , 7th edn, Pearson Australia. ISBN: 9781442563100.