PG Coursework Unit
Building on previous knowledge, skills and experience, students will increase their understanding of the nursing professional, legal and ethical responsibilities required for practice in Australia including accountability for practice, functioning in accordance with legislation affecting nursing and health care, and the protection of individual and group rights.
- Critical thinking, analysis and decision-making
- Evidence-based inquiry
- Research appreciation and translation
- Nursing in the Australian health care system including organisational structures, models of care and roles
- Legal and ethical obligations, responsibilities and issues in health care and research
- Health professional regulations and health policy and reform applicable in Australia and its regions
- The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) National Competency Standards, codes of professional conduct and ethics
- Delegation and supervision and leadership, national decision-making framework
- The boundaries between professional relationship and personal relationships
- Documentation used in Australian health care facilities, including electronic documentation
- Relevant legal aspects applicable to nursing practice in Australia, e.g. legislation relating to health care including consent, duty of care and negligence, medication management, OHS, child protection, reporting obligations, mandatory reporting of elder abuse, privacy legislation and mental health legislation.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||interpret nursing practice in the contemporary Australian context|
|2||critically analyse the statutory and professional governance requirements that regulate nursing practice in Australia|
|3||critique literature on issues relevant to nursing and health care in Australia.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- interpret nursing practice in the contemporary Australian context
- critically analyse the statutory and professional governance requirements that regulate nursing practice in Australia
- critique literature on issues relevant to nursing and health care in Australia.
- No prescribed texts.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.