PG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Provides an advanced understanding of qualitative research methods so that student's can evaluate, design and successfully undertake complex postgraduate qualitative research projects in any setting.
Covers the following areas of business research methodology:
- An Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods in Business and Management
- Research Paradigms
- Approaches and Making Choices
- Theory for Qualitative Research
- Research Design and Process
- An Overview of Qualitative Approaches
- Data Collection and Methods in Qualitative Research
- Ethics and Essential Techniques for Researchers
- Data Collection and Analysis in Qualitative Research
- Data Analysis and Coding in Qualitative Research
- Using Computers to Assist in Qualitative Analysis
- Writing up Qualitative Research
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||Analyse the different paradigms of social enquiry according to the different ontological and epistemological assumptions they make|
|2||Formulate the steps to be followed in conducting qualitative research|
|3||Critique published research in terms of its ability to collect, analyse and interpret data consistent with a particular theoretical perspective or paradigm|
|4||Engage in the ethical dimensions of business and management research.|
|5||Apply qualitative research methods|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
Analyse the different paradigms of social enquiry according to the different ontological and epistemological assumptions they make
Formulate the steps to be followed in conducting qualitative research
Critique published research in terms of its ability to collect, analyse and interpret data consistent with a particular theoretical perspective or paradigm
Engage in the ethical dimensions of business and management research.
Apply qualitative research methods
- The 2015 (2nd) edition of the following text may also be used: Eriksson, P & Kovalainen, A, 2008, Qualitative Methods in Business Research, Sage - paperback version.