Unit of Study MIDW2012 - Caring for the Woman During Complex Labour and Birth (2023)
Show me unit information for year
UG Coursework Unit
- Must have completed or be currently enrolled in
- MIDW2011 - Caring for the Woman During Complex Pregnancy
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
explore and discuss collaborative care principles, and consultation and referral pathways for women and their babies experiencing complexities during labour and birth
describe the processes involved in the recognition of, and response to clinical deterioration events in the birthing environment
discuss pharmacological support and medication safety, as well as non-pharmacological or midwifery support strategies, in the birth environment
describe best practice recommendations and current evidence when caring for a woman experiencing complexities during labour and birth
Prescribed learning resources
- Chapman, V., & Charles, C. , 2018, The midwife's labour and birth handbook, 4th edn, Wiley Blackwell, Hoboken, NJ, USA. ISBN: 9781119235064.
- Gilbert, E. S., 2011, Manual of high risk pregnancy & delivery , 5th edn, Elsevier, St. Louis, MO USA. ISBN: 9780323072533.
- Pairman, S., Tracy, S. K., Dahlen, H., & Dixon, L., 2018, Midwifery: preparation for practice, 4th edn, Elsevier, Philadelphia, USA. ISBN: 9780729542678.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
Prescribed Learning Resources may change in future Teaching Periods.