Unit of Study MIDW2009 - Care of the Unwell Baby (2023)
Show me unit information for year
UG Coursework Unit
- HBIO1009 - Introductory Anatomy and Physiology OR (both
- HBIO1003 - Systemic Anatomy AND
- HBIO1007 - Human Physiology I ); AND
- MIDW1004 - Preconception to Early Parenthood OR
- MIDW2002 - Optimising Health in Childbearing I ; AND
- MIDW2011 - Caring for the Woman During Complex Pregnancy OR
- MIDW2003 - Optimising Health in Childbearing II ; AND
- PHAR2001 - Introductory Pharmacology
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
discuss safe, ethical midwifery practice that supports care of the unwell baby, the woman and family during complex situations
discuss the pathophysiology and management, including midwifery care, for babies experiencing complex genetic, metabolic or medical conditions
interpret and explain diagnostic testing and screening results in assessing the unwell baby
demonstrate competence in medication numeracy for the neonate
Prescribed learning resources
- Kain, V & Mannix, T., 2018, Neonatal nursing in Australia and New Zealand: principles for practice., 1st edn, Elsevier, NSW, Australia. ISBN: 9780729542609.
- Pairman, Sally. & Tracy, Sally. & Dahlen, Hannah G. & Dixon, Lesley. , 2018, Midwifery: preparation for practice, 4th edn, Elsevier, Philedelphia, USA. ISBN: 9780729542678.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
Prescribed Learning Resources may change in future Teaching Periods.