UG Coursework Unit
LAW00503 Contract Law AND not available for students admitted to the Associate Degree in Law (Paralegal Studies) or Bachelor of Legal and Justice Studies.
Examines the legal and fundamental equitable principles and the statutory framework that govern contractual relations in Australia, including the performance and termination of contractual relations, remedies and vitiating factors. Critical theoretical perspectives and the key policy issues which have informed the development of various equitable and statutory interventions in the common law of contract in Australia are also analysed.
Topic 1 Filling the Gaps: Implied Terms
Topic 2 Filling the Gaps: Frustration
Topic 3 Performance
Topic 4 Termination for Failure to Perform
Topic 5 Remedies
Topic 6 Tainted Contracts: Misinformation
Topic 7 Tainted Contracts: Abuse of Power
Topic 8 Tainted Contracts: Illegality
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify the legal and policy issues in complex contractual cases and hypothetical situations|
|2||apply relevant legal principles to the resolution of these issues|
|3||critically analyse aspects of Contract Law from a number of theoretical perspectives|
|4||develop high levels of skill in the reading of statutes and cases|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify the legal and policy issues in complex contractual cases and hypothetical situations
- apply relevant legal principles to the resolution of these issues
- critically analyse aspects of Contract Law from a number of theoretical perspectives
- develop high levels of skill in the reading of statutes and cases
- Paterson, J & Robertson, A , 2020, Contract: Cases and Materials, 14th edn, Thomson Reuters, Sydney.
- Paterson, J & Robertson, A, 2020, Principles of Contract Law, 6th edn, Thomson Reuters, Sydney. ISBN: 9780455236001.