Not currently available in 2018
UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
- The breakdown of trade during the Great Depression, the instability of currencies, social and political unrest, and war.
- Rebuilding the international trading system at the end of World War Two; the creation of the IMF, the World Bank, the GATT system and the Marshall Plan.
- The golden years of post-war prosperity, and decolonisation of the Third World.
- Proposals for a New International Economic Order, including the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- The rise of the Washington Consensus and the hegemony of the dollar.
- The Roaring 1990s and aftermath: trade liberalisation, the World Trade Organization and the rise of China;
- the rise of regional trading blocs, NAFTA and the European Union;
- the USA-Australian free trade agreement;
- the rise of hot money portfolio capital flows and the instability of global finance.
- The crash of 2008 and the crisis in global trade and finance.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||Demonstrate an understanding of the legal structures of international trade organisations||Intellectual rigour|
|2||Demonstrate an understanding of international world banking organisations and their legal structures and frameworks||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||Analyse the legal and policy changes that have impacted on world trade||Lifelong learning|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal structures of international trade organisations
- GA1: Intellectual rigour
- Demonstrate an understanding of international world banking organisations and their
legal structures and frameworks
- GA4: Knowledge of a discipline
- Analyse the legal and policy changes that have impacted on world trade
- GA5: Lifelong learning