UG Coursework Unit
Provides students the opportunity to work through the exercise prescription process including initial client consultation, exercise testing, exercise prescription and exercise delivery. It includes a strong practical component designed to increase student confidence in the gym setting and improve client-practitioner communication skills. Advanced topics in exercise physiology are also studied as they relate to the roles of an accredited exercise scientist and accredited sports scientist.
- Initial client consultation
- Exercise testing
- Exercise prescription
- Exercise delivery
- Advanced topics in exercise physiology and sports science
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate knowledge of, and assess, appropriate exercise testing protocols for different individuals|
|2||apply knowledge of the principles of exercise prescription|
|3||respond to and reflect on challenges faced in training monitoring and prescription|
|4||explain the body's physiological responses to specific training methods, environmental stresses, and ergogenic aids|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of, and assess, appropriate exercise testing protocols for different individuals
- apply knowledge of the principles of exercise prescription
- respond to and reflect on challenges faced in training monitoring and prescription
- explain the body's physiological responses to specific training methods, environmental stresses, and ergogenic aids
- American College of Sports Medicine, 2019, ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 10th edn, Wolters Kluwer.
- Powers, SK, Howley, ET, 2018, Exercise Physiology Theory and Application to Fitness and Performance, 10th edn, McGraw Hill Education, New York.