UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Provides an introduction to the skills needed to estimate the sustainable harvest from a forest, and to use simulation modelling in a decision support framework, in the context of forest management planning and environmental management. Students will complete a simulation model as part of major assignment that will prepare them for oversight of forest yield regulation projects.
1. Context of modelling and prediction in management planning.
2. Interplay between people, institutions, plans and models in resource management.
3. Modelling approaches, languages and tools.
4. Introduction to the Visual Modelling Environment, Simile.
5. Basic concepts of modelling in system dynamics approaches.
6. Individual-based modelling.
7. Population-based modelling.
8. Advanced modelling techniques.
9. Testing and presenting models
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||Understand the role of simulation modelling in forest management planning|
|2||Identify forest and environmental issues that simulation modelling can help to resolve|
|3||Identify and implement a suitable modelling approach|
|4||Gather and synthesise relevant information and data|
|5||Complete simulations and present findings|
|6||Identify strength and weaknesses of a model|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
Understand the role of simulation modelling in forest management planning
Identify forest and environmental issues that simulation modelling can help to resolve
Identify and implement a suitable modelling approach
Gather and synthesise relevant information and data
Complete simulations and present findings
Identify strength and weaknesses of a model
- No prescribed texts.