UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Guides students through the major contemporary theoretical debates about the relationship between written texts and the production of cultural and social meanings. Students will do a detailed study of the theories of Postmodernism, Post-colonialism and Feminism.
- Deconstruction, Derrida and beyond
- New Historicism in the literary landscape
- A question of authorship
- Power and ethics
- Theorising whiteness
- Shifting subjectivity
- Radical subjectivities
- Space and time after 9/11
- Postmodernity in the 21st century.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||differentiate between major contemporary theories about writing and written texts and the relationship of texts to cultural practices|
|2||recognise the theoretical positions underlying particular critical approaches to writing and textual analysis|
|3||understand the significance of, the social and cultural contexts in which texts are made and read|
|4||analyse texts from a number of theoretical perspectives.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
differentiate between major contemporary theories about writing and written texts and the relationship of texts to cultural practices
recognise the theoretical positions underlying particular critical approaches to writing and textual analysis
understand the significance of, the social and cultural contexts in which texts are made and read
analyse texts from a number of theoretical perspectives.
- Flanagan, R, 2008, Wanting, Knopf, North Sydney.
- Juchau, M, 2015, The World Without Us, Bloomsbury , Sydney.
- Kang, H, 2015, The Vegetarian, Portobello Books, London.
- Turner Hospital, J, 2007, Orpheus Lost, Fourth Estate, Sydney.
- Wright, A, 2006, Carpentaria, Giramondo, Sydney.