UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
have completed units:[ [ENG00400] Introduction to Written Texts] AND ENG00401 - Issues and Themes in Contemporary Writing AND WRI10001 - Contemporary Reading and Writing Practices
Module 1: Mapping literary engagement
- Deconstruction, Derrida and beyond
- New Historicism in the literary landscape
Module 2: Ethical engagements in literary criticism
- A question of authorship
- Power and ethics
- Theorising whiteness
- Subjectivity and power
Module 3: Beyond the postmodern
- Subjectivity in the 21st century
- Space and time after 9/11
- Postmodernity in the 21st century.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||differentiate between major contemporary theories about writing and written texts and the relationship of texts to cultural practices|
|2||recognise the theoretical positions underlying particular critical approaches to writing and textual analysis|
|3||understand the significance of, the social and cultural contexts in which texts are made and read|
|4||analyse texts from a number of theoretical perspectives.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
differentiate between major contemporary theories about writing and written texts and the relationship of texts to cultural practices
recognise the theoretical positions underlying particular critical approaches to writing and textual analysis
understand the significance of, the social and cultural contexts in which texts are made and read
analyse texts from a number of theoretical perspectives.
- Flanagan, Richard, 2008, Wanting, Knopf, North Sydney.
- Grenville, Kate, 2005, The Secret River, Text, Melbourne.
- Tsiolkas, Christos, 2008, The Slap, Allen & Unwin, Australia.
- Turner Hospital, Janet, 2007, Orpheus Lost, Fourth Estate, Sydney.
- Wright, Alexis, 2006, Carpentaria, Giramondo, Sydney.