UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Provides an understanding of contemporary approaches to the study of children's literature, including the tools of visual literacy and textual analysis. These insights are applied to current Australian children's literature and to its most effective use in the classroom.
- An introduction to children's literature
- The language of children's literature
- Visual literacy
- Textual analysis
- Selecting texts
- Curriculum connections
- A history of children's books
- The development of Australian children's literature
- Literary genres
- Information books
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||describe a wide variety of concepts, features, themes, issues and text-types represented in children's literature|
|2||discuss the place of literature in a child's cognitive, language, social and personality development|
|3||evaluate children's literature and determine its effectiveness in enhancing the learning of a diverse range of students|
|4||plan for the integration of children's literature across the KLAs.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
describe a wide variety of concepts, features, themes, issues and text-types represented in children's literature
discuss the place of literature in a child's cognitive, language, social and personality development
evaluate children's literature and determine its effectiveness in enhancing the learning of a diverse range of students
plan for the integration of children's literature across the KLAs.
- The unit requires access to a work from the CBCA 2018 Winners: http://cbca.org.au/winners-2018: Children's Book Council Australia , 2018, CBCA Shortlists – Winners and Honours 2018 ONLY , CBCA , http://cbca.org.au/.
- This is a required text which can be purchased online from PETAA: http://www.petaa.edu.au/imis_prod/w/Publications/Buy/w/Publications/ePubs.aspx: McDonald, L, 2018, A Literature Companion for Teachers , 2nd edn, Primary Teaching Association Australia (PETAA), Newtown, NSW, Australia. ISBN: 9781925132397.