PG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Provides students with an overview of the role evaluation has come to play in the field of education. Knowledge of evaluation theory is used to engage with industry case studies and scenario-based problem solving to provide students with the skills for effectively using quality evaluation and research as a part of their professional decision making.
- Features and purposes of educational evaluation: definition, goals and forms
- Strategies and activities in evaluation: measurement, assessment and reporting
- Elements of educational evaluations: stakeholders, design, method, analysis and use of results
- Differences between evaluation outputs and outcomes
- Case studies: The good, the bad and the destructive in educational evaluation
- The role of context in evaluation: settings, roles and audiences
- The influence and effects of evaluation in the field of education
- Hallmarks of effective evaluations
- Functions of evaluation versus research
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||Understand the history, current role and impact of evaluation in the field of education.|
|2||Demonstrate knowledge of the constituent elements of an educational evaluation, and how they may be implemented to enhance professional decision-making.|
|3||Identify and apply the elements of effective evaluation in response to key contextual elements in a variety of educational situations.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
Understand the history, current role and impact of evaluation in the field of education.
Demonstrate knowledge of the constituent elements of an educational evaluation, and how they may be implemented to enhance professional decision-making.
Identify and apply the elements of effective evaluation in response to key contextual elements in a variety of educational situations.
- No prescribed texts.