PG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Provides an understanding of theory, issues and contemporary practice of program evaluation across a range of organisational sectors and community contexts. The purpose and value of evaluation are considered and the links between program evaluation, action and change explored. Participants will develop an understanding of the issues to be considered, and practical skills required when negotiating, designing, conducting and reporting evaluations. Contemporary evaluation models and practices are critically evaluated.
Module 1 - The role and value of program evaluation
- What is program evaluation?
- The purpose and political context of evaluation
- Evaluation, change and organisational capacity building
Module 2 - Contemporary evaluation models and practices
- Definitions, theories and philosophies informing program evaluation
- Types and purposes of program evaluation
- Choosing appropriate methods and techniques to suit particular purposes
Module 3 - Designing and conducting evaluations
- Paradigmatic considerations
- Identifying evaluative criteria and sources of evidence
- Designing data collection tools - Validity, reliability, and trustworthiness criteria
- Ethical issues
- Common barriers and challenges encountered during evaluations
Module 4 - Involving children and young people in evaluation
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||describe the role and value of evaluation in social and educational settings|
|2||discuss various theories and philosophies informing contemporary approaches to evaluation|
|3||critically analyse models of evaluation and appropriate methods and techniques in implementation|
|4||select appropriate evaluation methods to suit different purposes|
|5||design an evaluation relevant to a specific organisation and context.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
describe the role and value of evaluation in social and educational settings
discuss various theories and philosophies informing contemporary approaches to evaluation
critically analyse models of evaluation and appropriate methods and techniques in implementation
select appropriate evaluation methods to suit different purposes
design an evaluation relevant to a specific organisation and context.
- No prescribed texts.