UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
COM00334 Learning Technologies and the Academy
Introduces students to active practices of reading and writing, different forms of writing and critical reading strategies that will enable them to analyse and critique meanings in the written word. Reading and writing skills are introduced with a particular emphasis on critical thinking and essay writing as forms of academic practice.
- Orality and literacy
- The reading-writing nexus
- Literacy and the politics of writing
- Critical literacy and critical thinking
- New literacies
- Future literacies
- Dangerous writing
- Rhetoric and persuasion
- Language and expression
- Across the disciplines
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||read and critically analyse a range of texts|
|2||search, retrieve and evaluate scholarly material|
|3||construct a coherent argument in essay form|
|4||write and reference competently in scholarly work|
|5||understand the importance of academic integrity|
|6||understand the value of writing as communication.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
read and critically analyse a range of texts
search, retrieve and evaluate scholarly material
construct a coherent argument in essay form
write and reference competently in scholarly work
understand the importance of academic integrity
understand the value of writing as communication.
- This text is essential for the course and should also help with your whole experience of study at SCU: Grellier, J & Goerke, V, 2010, Communication Skills Toolkit: Unlocking the Secrets of Tertiary Success, 2nd edn, Cengage Learning, South Melbourne. ISBN: 9780170184762.
- Grellier, J & Goerke, V, 2010, Communication Skills Toolkit: Unlocking the Secrets of Tertiary Success, 2nd edn, Cengage Learning, South Melbourne. ISBN: 9780170184762.