UG Coursework Unit
Level of learning
Examines normal physiological function at the cellular level, endocrine system and nervous system physiology, and homeostatic control pathways. Develops essential key understandings of the basic control mechanisms of normal body function that will then be applied to understanding the physiological functions of the various body systems studied in Human Physiology II.
This is the first of two Human Physiology units which must be studied sequentially. This unit covers:
- Introduction and Cell Structure
- Chemistry – Atoms, Molecules, Biomolecules
- Protein Interactions / Solutions
- Functional Compartments / Protein Synthesis
- Energy and Cellular Metabolism
- Membrane Dynamics
- Communication and Signal Pathways
- Endocrine System Physiology
- Nervous System Physiology
- Synaptic Transmission
- Central Nervous System / Peripheral Nervous System Efferent Pathways
- Sensory Physiology
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||explain the basic chemical and physiological processes that operate at the cellular level in order to maintain normal cell function|
|2||describe the functional components of signal transduction and homeostatic control pathways|
|3||identify and explain the mechanisms underlying the normal function of the endocrine and nervous systems.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
explain the basic chemical and physiological processes that operate at the cellular level in order to maintain normal cell function
describe the functional components of signal transduction and homeostatic control pathways
identify and explain the mechanisms underlying the normal function of the endocrine and nervous systems.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Silverthorn, DU , 2018, Value Pack - Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach, Global Edition plus Modified Mastering A&P with eText , 8th edn, Pearson. ISBN: 9781488657733.