PG Coursework Unit
ACCT6004 - Finance OR FIN00706 Financial Management in Business
Introduces key concepts, principles, tools, contemporary issues and context of finance and financial management in order to prepare students for participation in making investment, financing and dividend decisions. Students will develop their financial management toolkit by undertaking practical problems and case studies.
Topic 1: Introduction to finance and the time value of money (TVM)
Topic 2: Applying TVM: valuation and interest rates
Topic 3: Risk and return
Topic 4: Capital investment analysis: decision criteria and cash flow estimation
Topic 5: Capital investment analysis: risk and the cost of capital
Topic 6: Capital structure and payout policies
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||apply time value of money techniques to the analysis of practical business finance problems and opportunities|
|2||measure risk and return, and interpret those measures in light of the risk-return trade-off and diversification|
|3||evaluate capital investments using appropriate capital budgeting techniques|
|4||compare and appraise alternative capital structures and payout policies.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- apply time value of money techniques to the analysis of practical business finance problems and opportunities
- measure risk and return, and interpret those measures in light of the risk-return trade-off and diversification
- evaluate capital investments using appropriate capital budgeting techniques
- compare and appraise alternative capital structures and payout policies.
- Purchase the print or eBook version of the following textbook: Graham, JR, Adam, C & Gunasingham, B, 2021, Corporate Finance, 3rd Asia-Pacific Edition, Cengage, South Melbourne, Victoria. ISBN: 9780170446075.