|Papua New Guinea - IBSU Port Moresby||N/A|
UG Coursework Unit
Introduces the law and practice of taxation in Papua New Guinea (PNG) and the inter-relationship between different taxes. The main emphasis is on income tax as it applies to individuals, however, other taxes will be studied including goods and services tax and industry specific taxes. By studying this unit, students should attain a basic working knowledge of the taxes that are levied in PNG. The unit also examines some of the principles behind a good tax system and the administration of taxation in PNG.
1. Overview of the PNG Income Tax System
2. Basic Concepts of PNG Income Tax
3. Concepts of Income Including Statutory and Exempt Income
4. Allowable Deductions including depreciation
5. Taxation of Non-residents and Foreign Income
6. Taxation of Individuals
7. Taxation of Companies
8. Mining Tax and Other Incentives
9. Introduction to Other Taxation Entities & Tax Planning
10. Tax Administration
11. GST and Other Taxes
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||calculate taxable income under the ITA 1959|
|2||calculate the tax liabilities of different types of taxpayers|
|3||explain the taxation administration in relation to the processes and systems in place to enhance tax compliance and revenue collection|
|4||explain the basics of how other PNG taxes operate.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- calculate taxable income under the ITA 1959
- calculate the tax liabilities of different types of taxpayers
- explain the taxation administration in relation to the processes and systems in place to enhance tax compliance and revenue collection
- explain the basics of how other PNG taxes operate.
- -, Papua New Guinea Income Tax 1959 as Amended.
- Palimi, Joseph, 2020, PNG Taxation, 1st, ISB University, PNG. ISBN: 978-9980-909-37-4.